POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Dried-Up Desert Texture : Re: Dried-Up Desert Texture Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dried-Up Desert Texture
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Feb 2000 09:45:24
Message: <389ae604@news.povray.org>
In article <3899FC63.8E258F28@ChrisHarrison.co.uk> , Chris Harrison
<Me### [at] ChrisHarrisoncouk>  wrote:

> As far as I know, all POV textures are skin textures - so, whatever
> transformations I do to them, I assume that they will always remain as
> skin textures (i.e. although I have it on a plane, a 2D surface;

POV-Ray textures are procedural textures, maybe best explained as
complicated functions in 3D space.  Textures in POV-Ray are not mapped on
the surface of the object, they 'fill'* the whole object in the sense that
when you for example cut out a part of the object with a CSG operation you
will see a different 'part' of the texture, not the previous surface texture
part remapped on that area.

     Thorsten

* 'Fill' does not imply the object is really filled with anything, just that
the texture (function) is defined inside as well as outside of the object.
For details refer to the POV-Ray documentation "interior" section.